Tuesday, December 11, 2007

~ Down in The Dumps!? ~


Do you ever feel down in the dumps? Do you ever feel like you are in a deep pit or that this time you are having a hard time getting out of it? I have recently been going through quite a time with these feelings and a lot of it had to do with my dad's death and then right after that my mom wasn't well and then during all of that some other very hard things were thrown my way. I started really feeling like I was in the deepest pit I had ever been in and I tried SO hard just to get through each day and continued to pray that this struggle would all be over soon. Before my dad passed away, my cousin sent me a book called, "Lies Women Believe" It was written by Nancy Leigh DeMoss who I have such respect for. She reminds me so very much of Elisabeth Elliott. The book is all based on the Bible and how we believe the lies the enemy whispers to us. I think we all go throughout each day forgetting that we fight an invisible battle(Ephesians 6:10-20)!! That satan really wants us to become miserable and unhappy. The way he does this is through the lies he whispers to us. A lot of times we believe those whispers (thoughts). We believe we are fat, ugly, unworthy, unloveable etc... Some of us even believe that God could never love us because of the choices we have made. These are all lies from the enemy; wanting to steal our joy, our happiness, and make us believe these lies.
I began reading so many books and each time I read a new book I would also have my Bible to look up the scriptures given in the book I was reading. I can tell you that I am still going through a hard time, but things are getting better!! If each of us can remember that we are fighting an invisible war and if we can work each and every day at not letting the enemy win and not believing the lies, I know we will begin to see a huge change in our lives.
A book I had heard about and recently found at our library, "Get Out of that Pit" by Beth Moore has been another awesome book that is filled with Biblical truth and I feel can be a huge help to those that are struggling. One thing I did as a young girl, and wrote about here on my blog is a, " Happy Diary" I just saw a show on this, but they were calling it a," Gratitude Journal" They suggested ( and this is what I did growing up ) that before going to bed you write down 5 things you are thankful for (5 happy things that happened that day). You do this every day and before you know it you are going through the day looking for happy things to write about that evening. This worked for me and I have heard others say it has changed their life!!

1 comment:

Christine LeFever said...

You get what you concentrate upon. So concentrate on happy thoughts. Every type of thinking is addictive. Break the addiction of negative thinking by turning your thoughts to that which brings you joy. Practice love and gratitude. You go, Girl!

XOXO,
Christine